Sunday, April 15, 2007


over the past 3 days I have been at youth conference. This year we started off in the stake center eating dinner and preforming skits we had prepared. It all started good until the tornado hit. We vacated to the cinder block halls and waited it out there. A few people went outside and brought back hail the size of golf balls! The rest of the night went according to plan and we said goodbye until tomorrow at 7 am.
I was surprised the next morning at how hard it was to wake up at 6 on a Saturday! But unwillingly we ran out the door, wearing as many layers as possible, and picked up Emma. We went to the stake center and got onto buses with our new "family". Emma and I sat in the middle right in front of a group of THE most annoying boys ever! All the 2 hours that we were driving they talked and laughed and asked us for our numbers and sprayed cologne (that didn't even smell good). We finally got there and IT WAS FREEZING COLD!! i had on two shirts, a sweatshirt, and two jackets but i still felt like i was in an icebox. We built wagons and trekked across five miles of Fields of cacti, rocks, streams, pipes, and fallen trees. It was a little hard but not as bad as i had thought, but then again i only went five miles and the real pioneers went across hundreds of miles! There were mostly 4 things going through my head when i got there: It's cold, My nose is gonna get frostbite and fall off, stupid cactus, and i was not meant to be a pioneer. there was a reason i was born in this time period and I think it was because I would not have made a good pioneer. after our miles were done we went to a big field were we set up a bar-B-Q. At this youth conference there were more than 150 kids so we were a BIG group. for the rest of the night we ate, socialised, and square danced. That's right... square dance. In my group we didn't really know what to do so what ended up happening was we ( 8 of us) held hands, spun in circles, and jumped around. None the less, it was fun. we rode the buses back home and got back at about 10pm. The trek was a success.
Today was the last day of youth conference. After church we carpooled back to the stake center and had a testimony meeting. I was shocked at how many people bore their testimony! there were non-stop people going up and we ran out of time so some of us didn't get to go. :( But you could feel the spirit very strongly.
This was my first year of youth conference and i loved it! I made tons of friends and i can not wait until next year. All in all, this was one of those weekends you wont forget.


txmommy said...

I'm so glad that you had a great time and that you didn't get frost bite.

utmommy said...

I remember Youth Conference. I loved it. Glad you had a good time!

attack of The Mouse said...

I'm glad you had a great time. The Youth Conferences I went to were always fun, we never reenacted the pioneer's experience but I always wanted to. I think my best chance of getting to do that is going to be Martin's Cove. I'm glad you got to meet other people, that makes it just that much more exciting. :)